I think I got imune to scare flicks. Nothing really get’s to me anymore, but I just finished seeing Rec 2 and I have to say that I was almost woohing the entire film like I did at the ending of the first Rec. Which in my opinion is still one of the most disturbing endings in a movie ever. Usually I don’t really appreciate it once they try to pull of the religion explenation, demon possession whatever, but in Rec 2 it actually works. Great flick!
With that said, I really dig movies that get on my nerve. You know, the movies that have this lingering terror all the time, but you’re not really sure what it is. The shit that get’s under your skin. So here’s a list of movies that managed to creep me out like that. If anyone knows of any movies that are like this as well, please let me know, I needs my “fuck-I’m-sleeping-with-the-lights-on” fix.
- The Blair Witch Project (the first movie that actually had me up thinking about it all night. That final scene really got to me)
- The Abandoned (seriously fucking freaky! Such a gorgeous decayed setting)
- The Dead (no bullshit, no humor zombie flick set in Africa. Freaky slow moving zombies. The movie focusses on the despair of a zombie appocalypse instead of the gore, making it a really effective movie. I would call it a Drama actually)
- Rec and Rec2
- Session 9 (it’s not such a scare flick really, but you have this uneasy feeling the whole time during the first watch because you don’t know what to expect. The ending brings it all together making this a brilliant psycho/insanity thriller IMO. It get’s better after a second watch.)
- The others (An ending I didn’t see coming. an overall not to scary movie, until you get the plot. At least that’s what got me thinking about it for hours after first watching it)
- The Descent (I’m not a big fan of slasher/gore flicks except for zombies, I love zombies, but this was such a claustrophobic trip. The story builds up around the characters and all of a sudden it turns into this overly freaky nasty, hunted down, nightmarish survival flick. Really really disturbing)
- Ju-On 2 (the original japanese Grudge 2. I saw it before the first movie. It din’t really get to me during the movie, but it somehow scared the shit out of me when I was thinking about it trying to sleep)